The Heart of the Matter


As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.  Proverbs 23 v 7

Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.  Proverbs 4 v 23

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  Luke 6 v 45.

The Heart of the Matter

Have you noticed that each of these scriptures is talking about 'The Heart'? 

Many times we are trying so hard to change or control our thinking and to keep our conversation right, that we find ourselves exhausted and discouraged.  It can feel like we are just going around and around in circles. We desire our lives to change but it can feel impossible.

When we see scriptures like this it is talking about the heart or the centre of our being, the scientific world has named it the sub-conscious, because they cannot fully comprehend the depths of the soul of man.

From the moment we were born, we were being conditioned and programmed by our environment and others around us to think and to act in certain ways.  What has been happening in our soul, in the heart of who we are, is so gradual and constant that we are not aware of it.  

Our 'belief system' which is within us, in the heart of our soul, the centre of our being is like a hard drive on a computer.  We have default settings which we automatically keep going back to.  Like a computer, if we don't change the default settings, it doesn't matter what changes we try to make, when we turn the computer of and start it up again, it will have automatically resorted back to the original settings.  

We can try all sorts of things to change our thinking - but unless we have a change of heart - nothing really changes.  

So how can we have this change of heart?

Jesus is called the healer of the broken hearted and this is often referred to when someone is going through a difficult or painful situation but really every one is born with a 'broken heart' it is not because of the pain or disappointments, but because we are born disconnected from our Father God, our creator and we are trying to operate in our own understanding and strength.  Jesus is the only way to the Father, who is the only one who can make us complete and whole.  So the brokenness of the heart of man is not so much about what has happened to him, but that there is an emptiness that nothing else in this world can fill, apart from knowing our Heavenly Father's Love.  God revealed his love to us through Jesus Christ his Son, and as we receive and accept Jesus, the Holy Spirit begins a work in our hearts.  Quite simply he changes us from the inside out, by healing the brokenness and making us complete.

We cannot see how he works in our hearts but we will see and know the effects.  

Jesus is the Love of God revealed to us, and he is the Healer of our brokenness, The Holy Spirit is the power of God revealed to us and he is the one that does the work in our heart, in the depth of our soul.  

There is a deep desire within everyone to change and to have that peace in their heart, and as we ask the Holy Spirit to come and teach us a new way of thinking, talking and acting, he begins deep in our hearts, dealing with the mindsets and our inner beliefs.  Resetting our default settings.

He will not change us without our permission.  He is a perfect gentleman.  But as we ask him to come and heal us he will not turn us away.

Here are some verses of scripture that show us how to ask him to come and help us.  We cannot truly change ourselves in our own understanding or will power, no matter how hard we try we will eventually find ourselves right back to where we started.  But as we acknowledge him and ask him for his help, he will gently guide us and show us a new way to live, he will fill that emptiness and give us direction and purpose.  

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19 v 14

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.  Proverbs 3 vs 5-6

I have recorded this song, as a prayer.   I often pray these scriptures  and my life has been transformed in so many ways.  I would never go back to my old way of thinking and I know that I did not change myself, but he has healed my broken heart and has given me his life and love. Now I know what my purpose in life is and I know that it is his love and power that enables me to walk in it. 

If you have never prayed before or accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour, you can talk to him, right where you are, just as you are, he will not turn you away, he loves you and is ready to hear you.  Here is a prayer that you can follow or use your own words.  It is not the prayer that saves you, but if you mean what you say with all your heart, Jesus will come and save you and heal you.  The Holy Spirit will come and begin a new work in your heart.  We cannot save ourselves, we cannot earn our salvation, but it is a free gift offered to us that we must receive.

Lord Jesus, I come before you, just as I am,  I repent of going my own way, please forgive me. I want to know you and know Father God.  I give you my heart, Lord Jesus, now and forever. I invite you into my life, Lord Jesus. I accept you as my Lord and Saviour.  Come and heal my broken heart, change me, strengthen me in body, soul, and spirit.  Where I am weak you can make me strong.  Come Lord Jesus, wash me with your Precious Blood, and fill me with your Holy Spirit. I love you, I praise you and I thank you Lord Jesus. I shall follow you every day of my life. Amen.

Love Audrey xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is Good - HALLELUJAH

Rejoice Ahead of Time

Remember the good things